Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Believing Like a Child


In class on Monday we talked about of how children believe. I think the beauty of children is that they can believe everything at once. Pullman's book is a good example of how children are free from the boundaries a set belief can create. In this book "God," angels, witches, polar bears with opposable thumbs, magic spells, ghosts, medicine men, and separate universes all exist together. A child doesn't point out that these are conflicting ideas. They just believe that anything is possible. I wish so much that I could still look at the world through the eyes of my nine-year-old self. I wish I could believe in everything without having to judge and question each credence. Today I was watching the news when a story about a little boy who was home alone when a robber tried to break in came on. When the boy was being interviewed the reporter asked what he did. He said that he hid in his room and dialed 911, but if he would have had super powers he would have arrested the bad guy himself. I loved it. I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. This boy made this proclamation with such conviction that it was beyond great. Honestly, I felt so jealous of this boy and I can't even explain why.

No comments: